February is National Weddings Month!
Wedding Statistics and Fun Facts:
• The average American engagement lasts 16 months.
• The average engagement ring costs $4,411.
• The most popular months for weddings are (in order): June, August, September, October and May.
• Every year an average of 2.4 million weddings are performed in the US.
• 80% of weddings are performed in churches or synagogues.
• 175 guests are invited to an average wedding.
• The top wedding destinations are Las Vegas (100,000 weddings/year) and Hawaii (25,000 weddings/year).
• The average age for a first-time bride is 27; for a groom it’s 29.
• The average wedding has 5 bridesmaids and 5 groomsmen.
• The average amount spent on a bridal gown is $800.
• David’s Bridal accounts for 20% of all bridal-gown sales.
• 99% of newlyweds take a honeymoon.
• The average honeymoon vacation lasts one week.
• 69% of engaged couples have known each other longer than 3 years.
• 64% of couples live together before marriage.
• There is a 43% chance of a marriage ending in divorce.
• 60% of brides change their surnames.
• 67% of women continue to wear the same fragrance they wore on their wedding day.
Fact of the Month:
These days, the average cost of an American wedding is roughly $26,000. In perspective, that’s $6,500 for each word in the “I do” spoken by both the bride and groom. (The average Japanese wedding costs $93,750!)
Wedding Quotes of the Month:
“I think men who have a pierced ear are better prepared for marriage. They’ve experienced pain and bought jewelry.” ~ Rita Rudner
“I always just hoped that I’d meet some nice friendly girl, like the look of her, hope the look of me didn’t make her physically sick, then pop the questions and settle down and be happy. It worked for my parents. Well, apart from the divorce and all that.” ~ Tom in Four Weddings and a Funeral