Get your ovens ready… July 11 is National Blueberry Muffin Day! Yummy!
- The blueberry muffin is the official muffin of Minnesota.
- If all the blueberries grown in North America in one year were spread out in a single layer, they would cover a four-lane highway that stretched from New York to Chicago.
- The blueberry is the second most popular berry in the US (the strawberry is number one).
- Blueberries contain anthocyanin, which is good for eyesight.
- Blueberries contain significant quantities of both antibacterial and antiviral compounds, and have a reputation in northern Europe of fighting infections. They may also help protect against heart disease.
- The blueberry is the official state fruit of New Jersey.
- The favorite muffin in the US is, of course, the blueberry muffin!
Food Tip of the Day:
To keep your muffin or cake mix from turning too blue when adding blueberries, coat the blueberries with flour or cornstarch before mixing them into your batter.
Quote of the Day:
“You know a muffin can be very filling.” ~ Jerry Seinfeld, Seinfeld